Roti (also known as chapati) is a flat bread, which originated from the Indian subcontinent. It is made from wholemeal flour (traditionally known as atta flour). Very healthy and nutritious, as it does not have any other ingredients or flavors to enhance the taste. All you need is flour (atta) and water. Here is the recipe..
- Stone ground wholemeal flour (Atta flour). You will find it at your nearest Indian grocery store.
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Take the flour in a bowl.
- Mix the flour with some water and add water bit by bit, while you keep mixing it.
- Once the flour is not dry anymore, knead it with wet hands.
- Once its soft enough and you can see it has all blended together, its ready.
- Take handful dough in your hands and make a ball.
- Flatten it with your finger tips on the dry flour.
- Roll into a even circle with the rolling pin.
- Have a non-stick pan ready on a medium-high heat. Place the Roti. After 30-40 seconds when you see small bubbles popping, flip it to the other side. After 1-2 minutes (when you see its cooked) turn it back to the first side and with a hand towel press it lightly and move it in a circular motion. This will make the Roti puff up.
- Its ready to be served. Add butter or Ghee on top (optional).